Identify – GS1 Identification Keys
The GS1 identification keys are the heart of the GS1 system: they enable unique global identification of products, sites, transport units and much more.
- The GS1 identification keys and their structures are defined precisely.
- The GS1 identification keys are globally unique.
- The GS1 identification keys enable automatic data processing in the supply chain.
- The GS1 identification keys and the GS1 System are suitable for all industries. They have been in operation in the consumer goods industry for more than 40 years.
- The GS1 identification keys take into account all the special features for distribution in open Systems.
|Area of application
|Global Trade Item Number (GTIN)
||Item and services
||A chocolate bar, a kilo of flour, a litre of mineral water
|Global Location Number (GLN)
||Site and company
||Branch, unloading ramp, external warehouse, invoicing address
|Serial Shipping Container Code (SSCC)
||Pallets, packages, shipping units, consignments
|Global Returnable Asset Identifier (GRAI)
||Reusable containers, pallets, boxes, beer barrels
|Global Individual Asset Identifier (GIAI)
||Computers, railway carriages, ECG devices
|Global Service Relation Number (GSRN)
||Service provider and recipient relationships
|| Loyalty scheme members, doctors at a hospital, library members
|Global Document Type Identifier (GDTI)
||Tax returns, transport documents, driving licences
|Global Identification Number for Consignment (GINC)
||Logistics units transported together in an ocean container
|Global Shipment Identification Number (GSIN)
||Logistics units delivered to a customer together
|Global Coupon Number (GCN)
||Discount vouchers on paper or in electronic format
|Component/Part Identifier (CPID)
||Components and parts
||Vehicle parts (bogies, bolts)
|Global Model Number (GMN) – Basic UDI-DI (BUDI-DI)
Articles and services (basic specification of a product)
Medical devices (classification key for registration in EUDAMED)
Series of a T-Shirt
Basic model of a medical clamp
How to get your GS1 identification keys
The basis for all GS1 identification keys is the GS1 basis number (GCP, Global Company Prefix). You can use that to generate all of the GS1 identification keys. You can receive the GS1 basis number (GCP, Global Company Prefix) in Switzerland only as a member of GS1 Switzerland.