Processes that cross company boundaries hold significant potential for added value. GS1 assists companies in optimising entire value networks through collaboration. When companies work together, focussing on meeting objectives and solving problems, they can tap potential that they would not be able to unlock alone. This is why cross-company collaboration is important.
Collaboration is more than just cooperation. It means working together across company boundaries, continuously or ad hoc, with suppliers, sub-suppliers, customers, service providers and competitors to achieve better results for the stakeholders. Collaboration within a company also has a positive impact.
Collaborations vary in intensity. There are two factors: the breadth and depth of the collaboration. Breadth means the areas that are working together. This can range from joint product development to transport and sales planning. The depth of the collaboration defines the extent to which decisions are agreed cooperatively.
Trust building measures
- Commitment from the management of all the companies and divisions involved and the staff taking part
- Project organisation showing managers, project managers and participants, including tasks, skills and responsibilities.
- A common, coherent understanding of the starting position and transparency about baseline data
- Clear objectives with metrics and key performance indicators (KPIs)
- Written agreement
- Practical allocation of resources according to skills and experience
- Values, codes of conduct and defined working relationships
A common language, such as those provided by GS1 standards and ECR process models, is indispensable for successful collaboration. The most important thing is the internal organisation. For people to be able to work together effectively with suppliers, sub-suppliers and/or customers, their organisation has to allow it. Many aspects have to be considered: strategic, cultural, organisational, financial, resources, technical, company-specific, market-specific and legal.
- Successfully market better product ranges
- Find and eliminate inefficiencies and weaknesses
- Improve safety and quality
Our basic principles:
- GS1 Standards
- ECR process models
- Best practice
Added value for you with GS1 Switzerland::
- Safe investment
- Based on standards and best practices
- Expert network
GS1 Switzerland supports progressive models of collaboration between manufacturers, retailers and service providers. We base cross-company value chain optimisation on global ECR and GS1 standards and process models. They are an essential part of all collaboration projects.