Identification of products
To create a barcode (EAN code) for your product you need a GTIN (Global Trade Item Number).
There are three different options for obtaining GTINs. The best option for you depends on the number of GTINs required and your annual sales:
- GS1 Switzerland membership: ideal model if more than ten GTINs are needed; mandatory for companies with annual sales in excess of one million Swiss francs.
- Starter Kit 10: ideal model if you need a maximum of ten GTINs.
- Single GTIN: ideal model if you only need a few GTINs.
Under "I need a barcode
" you will find information to help you decide which option to choose.
The usual way is membership. This is how it works:
1. Click here to apply for GS1 Switzerland membership. You fill in the application and send it by email. It takes three working days to process.
2. Congratulations! You are now a member and we send you a GCP (GS1 Company Prefix). Now you can create your GTINs.
3. You can create several GTINs and generate barcodes from your GCP at GTIN Registry.
4. You can now use the barcode for your product, whether it is for the high street or online retail.
The other way is Single GTIN: the right solution if you only need one GTIN, or just a few of them.
To find out which way is better for you, first work out how many GTINs you need. The GTIN allocation rules will help.
Use our online calculator to check wether membership or Single GTIN will be more cost-effective for you.
If you have any questions please contact us by email or call us on 058 800 72 00, and we will be happy to help.